Assyrian Wars - FAQ

Planszowe gry historyczne (wojenne, strategiczne, ekonomiczne, symulacje konfliktów) dotyczące starożytności i średniowiecza.
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Post autor: Feldmarszałek Czupur »

Harry Theodore - Sep 12, 2005 11:35 am
More questions
Udo, Thanks. We had finally figured out the 1st question for ourselves. Never thought about offering tribute as an escape, good idea. One more question.
When Assyria is punishing a tribute refuser and they have just captured a city/fortress what is the sequence. For example: Can they attempt a conquest roll immediately or do they 1st make a tribute roll and then if the tribute roll is still refusal then attempt a conquest roll? If the tribute user pays up can Assyria still make the roll or do they have to pay 5 AP to declare war and continue the attack on the minor? Thanks again.
Harry

UDO GREBE - Sep 13, 2005 11:08 am
Harry: As it belongs such a decision is completely up to the King of the World. You can anytime turn what was meant to be a punitive campaign against a tribute refuser into a conquest camapaign wihout paying additional AP for a DOW. However once you do this, you can no longer gain a tribute check after each success you score.

Your always objecitve and never favoring the Assyrians in any way
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Pytanie o różnicę między "Carefull Preparation" a "Pass Impuls"

Harry Theodore - Sep 15, 2005 5:00 pm
Card question
Udo,
I am really enjoying this game! A quick question on the "Careful Preparations" card. If I read it right, you play it, draw a card to replace it, can't play any other card, get double income next impulse, AND your normal income this impulse to use. Unlike the card which allows you to skip your turn for double income (The Pass Card) and do nothing, this card seems very powerful. Also, when a power uses secret diplomacy to gain an extra impulse before the round begins is it limited to using only it's standard income? The actual statement is "can't use an extra card". This is how we are playing it. Thanks.
P.S. It is good to be King!
Harry

UDO GREBE - Sep 16, 2005 3:13 am
Careful Preparations: correct.
Secret diplomacy: The term "extra card" here refers to the alternative option in 7.5.2.c in the first sentence and just says that you are not getting the extra card but a preemptive impulse. The preemptive impulse follows exactly the rules for the preemptive impulses.

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Bob Kasabian - Sep 17, 2005 7:19 am
Im afraid I don't understand how the Eco Base values at the start of the Campaign Game are arrived at. Using Assyria as an example, each power totals its cities (17 + 2 for the capital = 19), divides it by three > 6.3, then adds the ECO values of its cities (3) > subtotal of 9.3. So far so good. Then, however, the power's trade points are divided by three. Since, according to the example in the Tutorial, all powers start with six trade markers in the Trade Box, that's another 2 > subtotal = 11.3. Finally, as per 7.3.3c, Assyria should add another two trade points for its existing alliances with Phoenicia and Persia, for another 2/3 of an Eco > grand total of 12. If you do the same calculation with the other powers, most of the numbers do not match those on the Eco Base column on the Initial Economics chart. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Five of us will be playing the Campaign Game Wednesday, so I look forward to your reply.

Harry Theodore - Sep 17, 2005 3:00 pm
Bob,
Don't forget about the "minor cities." They count one full ECO point because they give you tribute. (But they don't count as cities in your total also.) Took me a while to figure it out, but then the totals came out right. In the beginning Assyria has 2 minor cities, Elam has an alliance with Urartu and a minor city, and Babylon has an alliance with Israel. hope this helps.
Harry

UDO GREBE - Sep 19, 2005 5:29 am
Harry already gave the correct answer aobut ECO levels. Still there is a general rule for all UGG games. The initial setups may vary from game mechanics and do always supercede them. Means if you think that a setup information given in any UGG game would not be in accordance to the game rules, jsut ignore it, use the setup anyway.
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Abimilech - Oct 31, 2005 12:35 pm
David "the preacher" Wilson
RULES QUESTION
I have to ask this question again as it apparently went ignored earlier.

In our interpretation of the rules, tribute refusers must be punished by Assyria. We're not certain what constitutes punishment of a MAJOR power.
If Assyria defeats a major power in battle- a tribute check must take place... However, a tribute check of a major power seems to work differently than a die roll, etc. described for a minor power. It appears that the major power can continue to refuse to pay tribute and the war continues. If the major power (or a power controlling a minor for that matter) refused to pay tribute then has the power been punished.
In other words is CONQUEST the only manner in which Assyria can punish the Babylonian power if they just refuse to pay tribute after being defeated in battle several times during a game turn? Or is winning the major battle the punishment? Is taking one of his cities meet the requirements of punishment?
If there is a differnce between tribute punishment methods for minor powers and major powers, perhaps it would be noted in future editions of the rules. They seem pretty similar, except that it appears that a player has the choice of deciding whether he has been punished enough or not, where a non-player minor power decides via a random die roll. Seems like such punishment might be tough against an obstinate player.

Matthew Barratt - Oct 31, 2005 3:37 pm
If I recall correctly Udo said that punishment is only required for minors.

Abimilech - Nov 2, 2005 11:08 am
Tribute- punishing powers and minors
That might be so, because the rules SEEM to pretty much only deal with punishing minors.
However, the rules state the following:
"The player controlling a power decides if that power and any minors allied to it will pay tribute to Assyria."

and further..
"If a power must pay tribute, it pays 2 eco levels."

This leads to confusion, because "powers" are specifically defined as the following: "Assyria, Mede, Egypt, Babylonia, and Elam" on page 2 of the rules.

Rule 5.2.3 states (bullet 5)
"Assyria is expected to punish those that refuse to pay in the tribute phase. If Assyria does not punish a tribute refuser during the game turn, the country gets 1 additional die for its tribute check next turn. (see 7.44)"

While the die roll explanation seems to imply (to me at least) that this is only a minor power thing.

7.44 (bullet six) seems to imply that this punishment only applies to minors, but I can find no place that the rulon-paying es actually say this. Since powers are also subject to tribute, why would they NOT be subject to punishment?

If we could get Udo to clarify this it would be a big help.

UDO GREBE - Nov 3, 2005 4:54 am
Tribute
For non player controlled minors that fail a tribute check a punishment must be executed or a VP penalty for Assyria must be paid.

For all powers and player controlled minors there is no VP penalty. Still they can pay tribute voluntarily to avoid war with Assyria. Finally any country that is conquered pays tribute anyway. Minor allies pay tribute to their alliance partners.

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Harry Theodore - Nov 8, 2005 12:37 pm
Udo,
2 questions. Assyria is pounding on Babalonia (Sp?). They destroy the babalonian army during Babalon's turn but the king survives. Rather than loosing the king next impulse, Babalon offers tribute this impulse. Does this immediately end the war or does war continue until the interphase? We played the war immediately ended and Assyria withdrew to the nearest friendly area. (Without gaining a "free" territory) Is this right?
Another question. Assyria conquers a minor. They are then the only power who can influence them until the "following interphase." However, since the minor's army is destroyed, and the Assyrian army has moved on, another power spends the 10 AP's declares war, and basically instantly conquers the minor again. Is this legal? If so, who gets to influence the minor? Both, or only the last power? For that matter, can a recently subjagated minor be attacked again so soon? Finally, if so, would it get its home card again plus a new card even though it had used 2 cards earlier when first attacked? Appreciate an answer for the next time we play. (Next week). Thanks.
Asyria spuszcza łomot (?) Babilonii. Zniszczyła babilońską armię w czasie babilońskiej tury lecz jej król przeżywa. Chcąc uniknąć utraty władcy w następnym impulsie, Babilon oferuje trybut w tym impulsie. Czy to natychmiast kończy wojnę czy trwa ona do międzyfazia? Graliśmy w ten sposób, że wojna kończyła się odrazu i Asyria wycofala się na najbliższe przyjazne pole (bez przejęcia "darmowego" pola). czy było to poprawne?
Drugie pytanie: Asyria podbija państwo drugorzędne. Jest ona jedynym mocarstwem które moze na nie aż "do następnego międzyfazia". Jednakże, jako że armia państwa drugorzędnego jest zniszczona, inne mocarstwo wydaje 10AP wypowiadając wojnę i natychmiast bez problemów podbija to państwo. czy jest to legalne? Jeśli tak to kto może oddziaływać na państwo drugorzędne? Obydwa mocarstwa czy tylko ostatni zdobywca? W związku z tym czy właśnie co podporządkowane państwo może być tak szybko zaatakowane? I wreszcie, jesli tak, to czy powinno otrzymać ponownie swoją kartę narodową oraz nową kartę nawet jeśli wykorzystało dwie karty wcześniej, podczas pierwszego najazdu

Harry

UDO GREBE - Nov 9, 2005 4:57 am
Answers
1) This depends if Assyria is willing to end the war. Babylon could surrender But this depends also on Assyria's consent. In your situation relocating was correct. If peace or surrender is agreed you do not have to wait till the interphase.
2) This is answered in 10.4 c Multiple conquest.

1) To zależy od tego czy Asyria chce skończyć wojnę. babilon może poddać się, lecz to zależy także od zgody Asyrii. W waszej sytuacji przemieszczanie armii było poprawne. Jeśli jest zgoda na pokój lub poddanie się nie musicie czekać aż do "międzyfazia".
2) Odpowiedź na to jest w 10.4.c - Wielokrotny podbój

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

A Harry pyta i pyta i pyta...

Harry Theodore - Dec 7, 2005 1:37 pm
Udo,
Thanks for the answers. One more question. The rules state that you must play at least one card each turn. To play more than one card requires either a plus card or response/battle cards. They also state that response and battle cards (played as the events) don't count against the limit of one card per turn. Seems pretty clear, but here is the situation: Assyrian turn and player buys units, moves, and attacks. He uses one of the Home battle cards for the event. Can this card count as his one card played for the turn or MUST he play another to be legal? Appreciate your reply.
Harry
Przepisy stanowią, że musisz zagrać przynajmniej jedną kartę w każdej turze. By zagrać więcej niż jedną kartę potrzebna jest albo karta plusowa lub karta reakcji lub karta bitewna. Przepisy stanowią że karty reakcji lub bitewne (zagrywane jako wydarzenia) nie liczą się do limitów kart zagrywanych w turze. Wszystko ładnie i pięknie, lecz co w takiej sytuacji: Tura asyryjska i gracz wystawia jednostki, wykonuje ruchy oraz atakuje. Wykorzystuje jedną z bitewnych kart narodowych jako wydarzenie. Czy ta karta liczy się jako jego jedna zgrana na turę karta czy też MUSI zagrać inną kartę by być w zgodzie z przepisami

UDO GREBE - Dec 8, 2005 8:36 am
How to play the one card that you have to play per impulse is completely up to the player's decision. In your example it could be that the country you attack may steadily evade successfully until you have no AP left. That could force you to play another card or use the intended battle card as AP card.
Hope that helps
Udo

Całkowicie od decyzji gracza zależy jak zagrana zostanie wybrana karta, którą musi zagrać w ciągu impulsu. W twoim przykładzie mogłoby się zdarzyć że państwo które zaatakujesz może bezproblemowo przeprowadzić ucieczkę w momencie gdy nie masz w rezerwie AP. To mogłoby zmusić cię do zagrania innej karty lub do wykorzystania wybranej karty jako karty dającej AP.
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

aww900 - Jan 4, 2006 9:26 am
Location of units in city areas
Hello. I've got a rules question about the location of armies/units in areas with cities.
The rules imply that units in an area with a city are always in the surrounding, exterior location and if they want to become a city garrison when an opposing army turns up (ie defend the city instead of being overrun in the open), they have to make an evasion attempt. Is this correct or can units be placed so as to automatically be considered to be occupying the city, and so avoid the need to make an evasion attempt? Related question: If a regular unit is built, it is placed in a city (rule 6.1). Is it then considered to be in the city or in the surrounding area?. Can it automatically become part of an army that is in the surrounding area?

Przepisy stanowią, że jednostki na polu a miastem są zawsze ulokowane w jego otoczeniu, na zewnątrz miasta i jeśli chcą stać się garnizonem miasta kiedy zjawia się wroga armia (tj. wolą bronić miasta zamiast zamiast zostać zmiażdżonym w otwartym terenie) to muszą spróbować uciekać przed bitwą. Czy jest to poprawne czy też jednostki mogą być w nim umieszczone a więc automatycznie uznane za zajmujące miasto, a tym samym uniknąć testów na ucieczkę przed bitwą. Związane z tym pytanie: Jeśli regularna jednostka jest wystawiana to umieszczana jest w mieście (zasada 6.1). Czy w takim razie uznaje się, że przebywa ona w mieście czy na przyległym polu? Czy może stać się automatycznie częścią armii ktora znajduje się na przyległym polu?

Thanks for any help.
The rules are much better now and it looks like a great game. I hope to try playing it soon.
Andrew W.

UDO GREBE - Jan 4, 2006 10:10 am
Answer: No, you cannot state that you are automatically in a city when an enemy force arrives. We do in practice not distinguish between area and city unless an enemy force arrives. Then you need to make your evasion check. The only way to avoid an evasion check it to qualify for an automatic evasion (6.6.10). There you see that a single unit does qualify. The other question is answered by the army defintion in the glossary: You have no choice that unit is part of the army.
Odpowiedź: Nie, nie możesz stwierdzić że jesteś automatycznie w mieście kiedy zjawiają się wrogie wojska. W praktyce nie ma zróżnicowania pomiędzy polem i miastem, chyba że przybędą wrogie wojska. Wtedy musisz spróbować przeprowadzić ucieczkę przed walką. Jedynym sposobem na uniknięcie konieczności spradzania ucieczki jest kwalifikowanie się do automatycznej ucieczki (6.6.10). Z tego wynika, że pojedyńcza jednostka kwalifikuje się do tego. Na drugie pytanie odpowiedź znajduje się w definicji armii w słowniku: nie masz wyboru, ta jednostka jest częścią armii
Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Kolega Nordling zadał pytania w kilku postach, Udo odpowiedział na nie w nieco innej kolejności, stąd pozwoliłem sobie na redakcję pytań Eliasa...

Elias Nordling - Feb 4, 2006 9:43 am

Assyrian Wars Living Rules suggestions
I've read through the version 1.1 rules in preparation for trying out Assyrian Wars, and have to admit I suffered a similar experience to others. By page 7 or so, I was utterly confused and felt I had to put the rules away for a while.
Now, the good news is that after a good night's sleep, I pondered things and thought, "that wasn't so hard after all", then I went on reading and the rest went down fine. I think there is still a rough spot at the Tribute rules, but I think I figured it out.
So, Udo, I know you're busy with the Empires of Apocalypse rules and all, but here are some suggestions for the next version of the living rules:

1) Are all scenarios assumed to start on turn 1 and go to turn 5? Even The Campaigns of Ashurbanipal?
Czy wszystkie scenariusze zaczynają się od tury pierwszej i trwają do tury piątej? Nawet Kampania Aszurbanipala?

2) From the tutorial, there seems to be a secret diplomacy phase before the player impulses. I can't find this in the sequence of play. Shouldn't it be listed there?
Z tutoriala wydaje się, że przed impulsami graczy ma miejsce faza tajnej dyplomacji. Nie mogę tego znaleźć w sekwencji gry. Czy powinna być tam wymieniona?

3) 3.3 Preemption. I had some trouble grasping this part. I think the problem was I wasn't sure if preemption gave you an "additional" impulse in the round, or if it just let you play it earlier. Now, I inferred from other parts of the rules that it was an additional impulse, but I think it would help learning to state it outright somewhere near the start of 3.3.
3.3 Uprzedzenie. Mam pewne trudności w zrozumieniu tej części. Sądzę, że problem brał się z tego że nie byłem pewien czy "uprzedzenie" daje ci "dodatkowy" impuls czy też pozwala ci go rozegrać wcześniej. Teraz już wywnioskowałem z innych części instrukcji że jest to dodatkowy impuls, lecz sądzę że pomogłoby w jego zrozumieniu jednoznaczne określenie tego gdzieś na początku 3.3

4) 5.2 Tribute: Here I felt like I was thrown into space without a spacesuit. After a while, I realized it was because the rule went straight to the exceptions and special cases without really explaining what tribute was. I think a few sentences at the start of the rules describing the generalities of tribute would be a great learning help. In fact, more or less repeating the parts on tribute and tribute refusal from the glossary would more or less do the trick.
5.2 Trybut. W tym miejscu poczułem się jakby mnie wyrzuciło w kosmos bez skafandra. Po chwili zrozumiałem, że to dlatego że przepisy przeszły prosto do wyjątków i specjalnych przypadków bez rzetelnego wyjaśnienia czym był trybut. Sądzę, że kilka zdań na początku przepisów opisujących w zarysie trybut byłyby bradzo pomocne. W rzeczywistości powtórzenie mniej więcej części zasad o trybucie i odmowie trybutu w słowniku czyni zamieszanie

5) 5.2.1, fourth bullet: Here the rules seem to imply Persia only pays tribute to one power at a time. From the example later, it is clear a country can pay tribute to more than one power. Is this an intentional exception, or is it a mistake in the rules?
5.2.1, czwarty punkt: W tym miejscu przepisy stwerdzają że Persja może płacić trybut tylko jednemu mocarstwu w danym momencie. Z późniejszego przykładu wynika, że dane państwo może płacić trybut więcej niż jednemu mocarstwu. Czy jest to zamierzony wyjątek czy jest to luka w przepisach?

6) 6.8 Lay Siege: I can't find any mention of what die-rolls the intrinsic defenses of a city hit on. I'm guessing it's 3 like for battle dice, but I certainly think it should be stated outright.

Also, I couldn't figure from the rules if defending units in the city can participate in siege combat or if only the intrinsic garrison defends. I can see the arguments for either case. I think this needs to be clearly stated.
6.8 Zakładanie oblężeń: Nie mogę nigdzie znaleźć jakiegokolwiek stwierdzenia jakim rzutem zadają straty broniące się miasto. Domyślam się że jest to "3" jak w przypadku "kostki bitewnej", lecz sądzę, że z pewnością powinno być to bezspornie wyjaśnione

7) I can find references to having to pay maintenance for units, but I can't find any actual rule for it! Nothing in the glossary or the index either. Am I just poor at looking? When and how much do you have to pay in maintenance?
Znalazłem informację, że muszę płacić za aprowizację jednostek, lecz nie mogę znaleźć żadnego konkretnego przepisu o tym. Nic nie ma także w słowniku czy też w indeksie. Może źle sprawdzam? Kiedy i jak dużo trzeba płacić za aprowizację

8) Can you pillage your own territory? The rules don't say, and I can see the arguments both for and against allowing it.
Czy można plądrować swoje własne terytorium? Przepisy nic o tym nie mówią a mam argumenty i za i przeciwko temu

9) 8.3: I found two sources of VPs missing from the list. First, the VPs you can get from having more than your maximum allowed cards, and second the penalty you can get from 10.4a.
8.3. Znalazłem dwa źródła PZ których brakuje w tej liście. Pierwsze to PZ, które można otrzymać za posiadanie więcej kart niż wynosi maksimum dla danego państwa zaś drugim są KPZ ktore wynikają z 10.4a.

Hope this is of help to make the rules even better!

UDO GREBE - Feb 10, 2006 4:38 am
Answers to the Questions of Elias in previous mails:
1) Ashurbanipal's campaings starts in turn 4. Ashurbanipal is Assyrian King # 4 in the timetable.
Kampania Assurbanipala zaczyna się w turze czwartej. Aszurbanipal jest asyryjskim królem nr4 w Tabeli Czasu

2) Secrect diplomacy is usually handled in the interphase only on the first turn it is handeled in the beginning (as a remnant from "previous turn").
Tajna dyplomacja jest zazwyczaj wykonywana w "międzyfaziu", tylko w pierszej turze przeprowadzana jest na początku (jako pozostałość po poprzedniej turze)

3) Preemption impulses are in addition.
Impulsy uprzedzające są impulsami dodatkowymi

4) Definitions that is what the glosssary does, so always if you think that a term is unfamiliar to you switch to the glossary.
Defincje są w słowniku, tak więc jeśli kiedykolwiek jakiś termin jest niezrozumiały przejdź do słownika

5) 5.2.1 fourth bullet can possibly be misunderstood the way you put it. We should mention that Persia has no cites and therefore the tribute check to Assyria automatically succeeds. That needs a clarification.
5.2.1. punkt czwarty może być niezrozumiały w sposób w jaki go interpretujesz. Powinniśmy wskazać, że Persja nie ma miast i przez to sprawdzenie płacenia trybutu jest przez Asyrie zawsze udane. To wymaga wyjaśnienia.

6) Any standard dice for terrain, leader or intrisic defnses are strength 3. That is in 6.7.3 but we can repeat it here. Garisons take part that is obvious from the details but we can make another sentence in 6.8 under city defense.
Każda zwykła kostka za teren, dowódcę lub za siłę obrony miasta ma siłę "3". Jest wo wyjaśnione w 6.7.3. lecz możemy powtórzyć to także i tu. Garnizon bierze udział (w walce) co jest oczywistością ze szczegółów lecz możemy dodać dodatkowe zdanie w 6.8 pod obroną miasta

7) Maintenance has its own chapter
Aprowizacja ma swój własny rozdział

8) 6.10. Pillaging own territory just does not make any sense so I did not make a rule here.
6.10 Plądrowanie własnego terytorium nie ma żadnego sensu więc nie stworzyłem takiego przepisu

9) 8.3 Yes, these 2 should be in the list.
8.3. Tak, te dwa przypadki powinny być na liście

Hope that helps and thanks for the constructive proposals. Just one remark. As a designer you think " I wrote it, so why are they asking me". It is often very difficult to figure out what you guys do not understand.
Udo
Zablokowany

Wróć do „Starożytność i średniowiecze”