Assyrian Wars - FAQ

Planszowe gry historyczne (wojenne, strategiczne, ekonomiczne, symulacje konfliktów) dotyczące starożytności i średniowiecza.
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Assyrian Wars - FAQ

Post autor: Feldmarszałek Czupur »

W niniejszym wątku pozwolę sobie na dodawanie pytań i odpowiedzi do najnowszego zakupu, który testujemy ostatnio na Smolnej. Jako, że temat ma służyć informowaniu a nie dyskutowaniu, będzie on zablokowany. Pytania i odpowiedzi pochodzą z Consimworlda. Zasadą będzie podawanie pytań i odpowiedzi wraz z datami ich powstania w wersji oryginalnej. Jeśli zaistnieje potrzeba dodatkowych wyjaśnień proszę o kontakt na prv.
Najwyższą siłą rozstrzygająca wszelkie wątpliwości będzie Udo Grebe, autor gry, gdyż a) sam wiedział co miał na myśli tworząc AW, b) niczym sędzia na boisku - ma zawsze racje...
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Q: Stephen Crane - Mar 1, 2004 3:47 pm
I can't really be more precise, I was just throwing out an idea. The counters were so artistic that i thought it might be possible to incorporate some of the nations different artistic styles onto the counters. I hope that makes more sense. I did have another idea though just to throw at you. Assuming you will have some kind of political control marker for the game, I had one in mind for Assyria. You know the Griffin type creature with a mans head with the distintive Assyrian beards? I thought you could use that symbol for a political control marker. I don't know what stage of development your at but i will try to come up with interesting ideas as they come to me or at least until you get tired of them

A: UDO GREBE - Mar 2, 2004 11:28 am
Dear Stephen,
yes, we had the same idea about a symbol for Assyria and will use this on the backside of the Assyrian Home Cards and the impulse track. We found a double griffin with Assyrian beard head protecting the gates of a palace in Ashur. We try to give the different states especially the 5 Powers an individual touch. So far our state of playtesting works without political control markers. Means that unlike other point to point games from GMT you cannot "flag" an area. Independent city states have a marker that are placed into the owning powers political box. For home areas of other states you need to maintain a garrison. If you cannot political control switches back to the original owner.
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Po zmianach na mapie oraz systemu naliczania punktów ekonomicznych Udo zaczął cierpliwie i nie po raz ostatni wyjaśniać jak to działa. Oto pierwszy z serii jego postów:

UDO GREBE - Sep 24, 2004 1:54 am
The number in brackets is the city number each country controls in the beginning which includes counting the capital as 2.

Fractions are retained till the trade phase. Example: Babylon starts with 11 cities (which includes counting Baylon as 2) That gives 3 Eco points Balylon has 2 extra Eco points that gives 5 total. That on map Eco level is used to get Babylon's random cards for next turn. Cards = ON MAP Eco- 1. So Babylon gets 4 cards for next turn now. Trade: Babylon managed to get 4 trade points. 3 give another Eco level. The one trade point left is combined with the 2 excess city points to another full eco point. So Babylon gets 2 Eco point form trade to a total of 7 Eco points. Any fractions left hereafter would be void.
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

W czerwcu gra została rozesłana do graczy i się zaczęło...

Matthew Barratt - Jul 2, 2005 8:23 am
Does Assyria lose VP for powers that refuse to pay tribute or just minors?
If powers count then does defeating them in battle or taking a city count as punishment?
Do the Assyrians make 2 coronation attempts on the last turn?
What is the point of using the Assyrian home card that creates ECO+ and ECO- won't they suffer from the ECO- as it has to be in a conquered city?

UDO GREBE - Jul 4, 2005 2:58 am
Answers: No Assyria just looses VPs for minors that are not aligned to another power.
What is a "coronation attempt"?
Deportation Homecard. I am not sure if I understand the question correctly, but you think that conquered cities would add income to the conqueror? They do not unless they are a province or an assocaited area ?
(FCz - to te dwukolorowe).Unlike in most point to point games you do not "flag" areas. Example: Assyria conquers Kish and plays the deportation card against it. So Kish suffers ECO-1 and an ECO +1 marker is placed into - lets say- Nineveh. Later in the game Assyria manages to conquer Babylon. Assyria takes a province (of corse you do not take Kish) and the other Babylonian areas including Kish are given back to Babylonia.

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Tym razem o różnicach między początkowym rozstawieniem a samodzielnym przeliczaniem dochodu...

Steve Wilson - Jul 6, 2005 5:29 pm
Learner's scenario
First off, the game looks great. Question on the ECO levels in the Two Rivers learning scenario: the numbers for Elam and Babylonia both seem one too high. Babylonia has 11 city points (3) +2 for Babylon= 5; Elam has 10 city points (3) +1 for Susa = 4. The chart gives them 6 and 5 respectively. What am I missing?

UDO GREBE - Jul 7, 2005 5:56 am
Steve:Things in the setup to get started may differ from what seems logical from the game mechanics. That is true for all scenarios and happens on full purpose.
That can have different reasons. (History, balancing, uncounted trade from unplayed last turn etc.) Don't bother yourself with this. Just start playing.
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Stephen Crane - Jul 9, 2005 11:38 am
I have a question on ECO markers about when they are placed. What i understand is they are placed either when Assyria plays its deportation card, when a power is unable to repay an AP loan, or when the Medes play the gathering tribes card. They can be moved around by other powers when they take an area but only Assyria can place them. Do i understand this right?

UDO GREBE - Jul 11, 2005 5:59 am
ECO markers addtions: Non Assyrian Powers can get an ECO + marker in one of their home cities by disbanding one unit and paying 4 AP in their first impulse (see 9.4). (Simulates settlers gaining more farm land and other vital resources.) In case of a conquest ECO + markers in the conquered area can be moved freely by an Assyrian conqueror. Other conquerors must place it into the next area with an ECO - marker. If there is no ECO - marker, then the other conqueror may place it into an area of his choice. Also the Urartu Home Card can cause ECO - markers.
Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Colin Dunnigan - Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm

1) Udo,
Do ECO levels from trade count for determining the # of cards a player receives? I'm assuming no because trade seems to be calculated after determining # of cards but I wanted to be sure.
Thanks, Colin

Tom Thornsen - Jul 14, 2005 12:00 pm
VPs for alliance
I may have a chance to play this game Friday night, so I looked over the on-line rules. One question regarding the Victory points.
2) How does the bullet "For alliance and/or conquest" work? I assume 1VP/minor and 3VP/power conquered. Does this rule mean that if two Powers ally they each receive 3VPs immediately? What happens when a third power joins a rebel camp that already has two other allied powers?
3) Once a Power has joined either camp can they leave the camp and become neutral during the Interphase, or is the only way out of the alliance those described under "Breaking Alliances" on page 13?

Colin Dunnigan - Jul 14, 2005 12:07 pm
Udo, Here are some more:
4)The tutorial seems to imply that it costs one AP per army to move an army group, but I couldn't find anything in the rules that explicitly stated it.
5) Do ECO levels in an occupied area count towards Ap income for the occupier or dies the city have to be turned into a province?
6) 7.4.3 (Last bullet) states that Assyria and its allies may enter any neutral country without a DoW, but 8.1 Neutrals (3rd bullet) states that Assyria and its allies may enter any country paying tribute without a DoW.
7) Grace Period: If the DIP marker of a conquered minor automatically reverts to Neutral when the GP is over, why bother to attempt to influence the minor diplomatically?
Overall, I like the game. Now if I could just try to find some people to play it with...

UDO GREBE - Jul 15, 2005 4:13 am
Answers
1) ECO from trade does not affect the number of cards you get. (see 7.3.2)
2) Powers get no VP if they ally with each other only conquest of anohter power earns VPs (see 8.3.)
3) Changing the alliance status of a power is a players decision. It costs 10 AP during the game and is free during the interphase (see 7.4)
4) It cost 1 AP per army moved (see 6.6).
5) You cannot take over enemy city production without forming a province
6)Assyria and its Allies can enter any neutral territory without a DOW including those paying tribute.
7) Grace Period Clarification. If a conquered minor has been diplomatically influenced by the conqueror during the grace period that status is kept and the minor’s marker is not switched to neutral.

Most of the questions asked are covered in the rules, some need an addition that will be updated to the living rules. Thanks for asking.
Hope that helps Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Tom Thornsen - Jul 23, 2005 7:34 am
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Questions from a first timer
Finally got to play this one last night. The three of us punched out the counters and set up the "Two Rivers" scenario from 7:30pm to 8:00pm and spent the next four hours building, fighting and referring to the rules. I think we would have been better of just going through the tutorial, since there are some game concepts that are better explained in the Tutorial.
Some questions came up where we were not 100% sure of the answer. Maybe they are answered in the tutorial, but Jim has the game now so I don't have that book on hand.
4.2 - Since no force pools are defined at the start of a scenario, does a countries force pool consist of all the units in the game box that do not start on the map? How do we know which units are "available" and which ones are not?
6.5 - May a country buy units from the regroup box in the same turn that they were sent there?
Since mercenaries in regroup can be bought by any player, we used this tactic to attack enemy mercenary armies. Any enemy mercenaries that routed to regroup could then be hired for 1/2 AP each that same impulse. Seems realistic enough!
Army and army group rules are very clear! We had no problems with them at all, even though we expected to.
6.7.4.A - One player in an army group plays the RALLY battle card, so the units from that army are not subject to rout. Are the rout results normally assigned to that country cancelled, or do other countries in the army group have to absorb them? In our example, the Elamite and Babylonian were in an army group and took 14 hits. Each ally took 7 hits and the 7 routs were assigned 4 to Elam, 3 to Babylon. Since Elam had played this battle card and was exempt from routing, does Babylon rout 3 units or 7?
6.7.8 - If no friendly controlled area is available for retreat, may a force retreat into an adjacent area with an enemy or neutral city as long as there are no units there? It is unclear if the reference to enemy or neutral city applies to the same area as the battle or adjacent areas. Likewise there is no rule to indicate if the city defense value is considered an "enemy or neutral force" for this rule.
6.8.2 - Rule 6.8 states that no routs are suffered during siege combat of any kind. 6.8.2 states that a successful assault results in all surviving defenders being routed. Is this an exception, or are defenders of a successful assault eliminated?
8.3 - For victory point detemination, do leaders count as 'units' in a force? Would a victory over 4 units and a leader award 1VP?
Last but not least, does anyone have plans for a 'pick up' game of Assyrian wars at WBC? I would like to play once with an experienced player to better understand the mechanics of this game.

UDO GREBE - Jul 25, 2005 4:23 am
Answers
4.2 - Force Pool: All regular units of a country are available except Kings.
6.5 - Regroup Box: purchase every time even in the same impuls.

Since mercenaries in regroup can be bought by any player, we used this tactic to attack enemy mercenary armies. Any enemy mercenaries that routed to regroup could then be hired for 1/2 AP each that same impulse. Seems realistic enough! Correct.
6.7.4.A - Routs are cancelled.
6.7.8 - City defenses are only for cities if they are under attack (siege) They have absolutely no effect on anything else.
6.8.2 - Rule 6.8 states that no routs are suffered during siege combat of any kind. 6.8.2 states that a successful assault results in all surviving defenders being routed. Is this an exception, or are defenders of a successful assault eliminated? EXCEPTION
8.3 - For victory point detemination, do leaders count as 'units' in a force? Would a victory over 4 units and a leader award 1VP? YES
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Matthew Barratt - Jul 25, 2005 12:40 pm
9.6 Sell Mercenaries
If my ally and I both have identical mercenaries in our force pool is there anything to stop us both buying from the other guy's force pool thus both ending up (mercenary strength)/2 APs better off than if we had each bought our own mercenaries?

UDO GREBE - Jul 26, 2005 5:17 am
Good point Matthew. That is not the sense of the rule 9.6. We must have a clarification here. If somebody sells mercenaries to another country he is not allowed to buy mercenaries from others. The reason for selling mercenaries is that you do not need all or part of them and have need for "cash" instead. Rule 9.6 is helpful if you have been defeated and are at peace and you need APs to build up your regular forces.
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Simon Strevens - Jul 28, 2005 1:18 pm
Pillage
Can a force place pillage-2 markers in enemy areas as it moves through them?
Is the cost for support of forces outside friendly territory at the beginning of a round 1 per force or 1 per army?

UDO GREBE - Jul 28, 2005 3:08 pm
You can only pillage once per area and imoulse (see 6.14).
Support cost is per force independent from force size. (see 6.10).

Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Bob Kasabian - Aug 4, 2005 6:36 pm
Have just finished my first reading of the rules. This is definitely not your father's card-driven game. There are a lot of new concepts, to say nothing of special cases and detail in this game. That's not necessarily bad, especially if the game plays smoothly. Five of us hope to play it in a few weeks. Any reports from people have tried the game?

UDO GREBE - Aug 10, 2005 3:24 am
The most important difference to usual point to point games is the economics in additon to the APs you get from cards and a more detailed combat system. Should not be difficult for experienced point to point players. Use the Tutorial!
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Bob Kasabian - Aug 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Just set up the Introductory Scenario and am running through the Tutorial. This is a great way to get familiar with a game that has some new concepts. Three questions thus far:

(i) I assume the AP cost for moving an Army Group is 1 AP/army/area. e.g., an Army Groups with two armies would pay 2 AP per area moved. Is this true?
(ii) When using an event card for a Secret Diplomacy action, do you pay the normal AP cost for playing the event?
(iii) Concerning the black and white Tribute Refused markers, I interpret the procedure as follows. When a player or minor refuses to pay tribute, the black marker is placed. Then, if Assyria does not successfully punish the Tribute Refuser, the marker is replaced with a white one. Is this correct?

Bob Kasabian - Aug 15, 2005 5:04 am
Answered my own question. Just found the cards that allow the alternate Secret Diplomacy.

UDO GREBE - Aug 19, 2005 4:54 am (#268 Total: 341)
Answers
I: we separated movement rules (6.6.) from Army and Armie Groups definitions. In 6.6 we define 1 AP per army and area moved. From this we must conclude for Army Groups 1 AP per Army it contains. So yes 2 AP for an Army group containing 2 armies.
III: correct see 5.1.

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Mark Kaczmarek - Aug 21, 2005 5:58 pm
If a space contains a combination of armies and leaderless units from various allied nations how is the defense conducted? Are the leaderless units left to fend for themselves as indiviual units? Do they combine together to form an ad hoc army or do they defend with an existing army. The rules don't seem to cover this case.

Also what happens if your army leader is sent away by card play. Does your force still defend as an army?

UDO GREBE - Aug 24, 2005 1:40 pm
1) Any multiple forces not organized in an army group suffer the disorganization rule (loosing all leader boni). I think the rules do cover it, just read carefully. If there are more than 3 defending armies there are seperate combats.

For armies just count the leaders command rating. Any units exceeding the limits cannot be part of an army. It may be not extra mentioned but there is not the option not to be in an army if the leader has enough command rating left.

2)When a leader is deactivated it depends on the cards text,and what kind of card there is no general answer to this. In any case the leader bonus is gone. Battle cards cannot make a things alike "your leader is deactivatd now you have to remove that army from battle". There is also an example in the tutorial with such a case.

Hope that helps
Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Ivan Mostinckx - Sep 2, 2005 6:00 am
2 players
Udo, is it possible to play a challenging game with 2 players (like with TNW) ?

UDO GREBE - Sep 3, 2005 4:34 am
2 Players, yes depends on the time you have. For short time there is the Tow Rivers scenario. If oyu have pleanty of time also a campaign is possible. We have one balancing rule for 2 player campaigns (see 8.4). If one player always has control of all 4 Rebel powers that would be unrealistic and would unbalance the game. So the Assyrian player can temporarily get control of one Rebel power.

Udo
Awatar użytkownika
Feldmarszałek Czupur
Lieutenant

Harry Theodore - Sep 8, 2005 4:49 pm
Udo, I have a few game questions for you.
1. Is a city with an ECO- marker counted at all during the On map economy determination? For Example, Babalon has had 1 city afflicted with a ECO- marker. Is its ECO 10 or 11?

2. Is the conquest check during the interphase mandatory? For Example, Babalon has lost 4 cities captured by the Assyrians. One was the capital. The Assyrian player can roll for conquest, but does he have to? It appears that by "almost" capturing a Power you can severly limit their ECO and other than gaining 1 VP for a refused surrender, keep them hobbled for the whole game with minimal card size and ECO.

Are we playing this right? Thanks.
Harry

UDO GREBE - Sep 12, 2005 5:41 am
An ECO minus marker is just that: ECO -1. It does not affect the city count otherwise. No conquest is not mandatory. You can very well contiue bothering somebody until he pays tribute. If I were the player of a power steadily harrassed by Assyria and unable to do something about it, I would surrender, offer tribute, or even join the Assyrian Camp . If the potential conqueror refuses this you can just hope that he soon needs his forces elsewhere.
Hope that helps
Udo
Zablokowany

Wróć do „Starożytność i średniowiecze”