Łosie i czołgi

Darth Stalin
Censor

Łosie i czołgi

Post autor: Darth Stalin »

No właśnie:
Where there are moose there are swamps, and for tanks deployed by U.S. Army Europe, that’s no good.
:lol:

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/moos ... e-1.366334

Parę wyjątków z tekstu:
In Estonia, drive off road, and tanks are liable to sink into the swamps favored by the country’s large moose population, Army engineers explained. Bog land, limited highway networks throughout the Baltics and a shortage of rail cars strong enough to carry U.S. tanks also pose obstacles. The one place to go for a large surplus of heavy rail cars: Russia.

“I’m not sure of their propensity for lending us rail cars in a time of need,” said Lt. Col. Steven Dowgielewicz, commander of the 39th Transportation Battalion.

While rail is a primary mode for moving heavy equipment around Europe, difficulties emerge as cargo moves into the Baltics, where the rail system still functions on Russian-style gauges. That means offloading onto different cargo trains, which require special transport cars.
Meanwhile, the Army also lacks the kind of mobile bridging capability in Europe that would enable a unit to maneuver heavy vehicles across Europe’s many rivers. Some allies possess such capabilities, but for now USARUER does not.

“We certainly need one in theater,” said USAREUR engineer Col. Laura Loftus.
During a stop at a small German port in Nordenham, the passing point for all U.S. ammunition into Europe, military legal advisers said efforts also are underway to streamline other regulations that can slow troop movements in a crisis. For example, the U.S. is required to give the German government four weeks’ notice before moving military equipment through areas that were once part of East Germany. Hodges said he learned of that arcane rule only recently.

“You have to go through eastern Germany to get to Poland,” said Hodges.
ODPOWIEDZ

Wróć do „Geopolityka i współczesne konflikty zbrojne”