British Isles

hwiccee
Chasseur
Kontakt:

British Isles

Post autor: hwiccee »

The topic was divided. This is the part of our discussion taken from here:

http://www.strategie.net.pl/viewtopic.p ... 278eb9c89a

Thanks Kadrinazi and Zeka, a great report :)

Kadrinaki: Are you really in Glasgow? I have used Allegro before, to buy Polish books :)

Zeka: Your English is fine :) Will you be going to Nielpolomice? If you are perhaps you will play this game there and I could see it?

Nick
Awatar użytkownika
kadrinazi
Tat-Aluf
Kontakt:

Post autor: kadrinazi »

Aye, I'm living in Glasgow since August, probably I'll stay here for next few years :lol:
Kontakt tylko na maila
Awatar użytkownika
Raleen
Colonel Général
Kontakt:

Post autor: Raleen »

Also Grenadyer is in Dublin - to the end of academic year I suppose..or maybe longer, who knows :)

And DT not seen for a long time should be in London, anyway a year ago when he was here he wrote that was in London.

In such way we will have whole British Islands occupied quite quickly... :wink:
Panie, weźcie kości w rękę i wyobraźcie sobie, że gracie z królem Kastylii, i rzucając je na stół zdajecie wszystko na los bitwy. Jeśli dopisze wam szczęście, zrobicie najlepszy rzut, jaki kiedykolwiek uczynił król na ziemi; a jeśli rzut wam się nie powiedzie, inaczej nie odejdziecie z gry, jak z honorem.

Gil de Osem do króla Portugalii Jana I Dobrego przed bitwą pod Aljubarrotą (14.VIII.1385)
Awatar użytkownika
Andy
Grossadmiral

Post autor: Andy »

In such way we will have whole British Islands occupied quite quickly...
But what about Wales? :wink:
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few...
Premier Winston Churchill, 20 sierpnia 1940 r.
...and for so little.
Porucznik pilot Michael Appleby, dzienny żołd 14 szylingów i 6 pensów
Awatar użytkownika
kadrinazi
Tat-Aluf
Kontakt:

We need Edward Longshanks to take care of this country - any volunteers? :lol:
Kontakt tylko na maila
Awatar użytkownika
Raleen
Colonel Général
Kontakt:

Andy pisze:
In such way we will have whole British Islands occupied quite quickly...
But what about Wales? :wink:
That was only to encourage to discuss some of you :wink:

And seriously speaking - Wales as a part of Britain is a part of British Isles but Ireland of course not (in my understanding, I wonder what would hwiccee said).
Panie, weźcie kości w rękę i wyobraźcie sobie, że gracie z królem Kastylii, i rzucając je na stół zdajecie wszystko na los bitwy. Jeśli dopisze wam szczęście, zrobicie najlepszy rzut, jaki kiedykolwiek uczynił król na ziemi; a jeśli rzut wam się nie powiedzie, inaczej nie odejdziecie z gry, jak z honorem.

Gil de Osem do króla Portugalii Jana I Dobrego przed bitwą pod Aljubarrotą (14.VIII.1385)
Awatar użytkownika
Chevau-léger
Sous-lieutenant

Post autor: Chevau-léger »

The British Isles is a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe comprising Great Britain, Ireland and a number of smaller islands(...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

If we consider geography the term comprises Ireland. However I doubt whether the citizens of the Irish Republic would willingly consider their island as one of the "British" Isles :wink: :lol:
Awatar użytkownika
kadrinazi
Tat-Aluf
Kontakt:

I love off-topic discussions :)
Kontakt tylko na maila
Awatar użytkownika
Chevau-léger
Sous-lieutenant

Post autor: Chevau-léger »

So do I :wink:
hwiccee
Chasseur
Kontakt:

I also enjoy the off topic discussions :)

Chevau-leger is right the British Isles are all the islands including the 2 largest, the islands of Ireland and Britain. These are of course different to the political terms Ireland, i.e. the majority of the island of Ireland, and Great Britain/the United Kingdom (the rest of the islands).

Do you know why it is 'Great' Britain? Do you know where 'Little' or 'Lesser' Britain is?

Wales/Cymry (Wales in the Welsh language): Don't worry we have this, the most important, most beautiful and most cultured area of the British Isles, as well!!! I am Welsh :) My name, Hwiccee, is the old Welsh name for the area of present day England that is west of Birmingham. This is the area I lived in before I moved to the Czech Republic.

Kadrinazi - arggghhhhhh do not mention Edward Longshanks :(

Kidderminster - Kidderminster is already Polish occupied territory, and has been for a long time! You see many Polish soldiers were in this area during the Second World War and after the war they settled in my area. So this town has a Polish Club (a kind of social centre), a Polish Consulate and one of the leading politicians is called Oborski. One of my best friends in Britain is called Pietkowski :)

We like Poles in our area and since Poland joined the EU there are a lot more 'new' Polish people living there now :)

Nick
Awatar użytkownika
Raleen
Colonel Général
Kontakt:

Once again the world becomes smaller than it seemed before :) . I hope that in English it is also such idiom..

Zeka

Post autor: Zeka »

hwiccee pisze:Zeka: Your English is fine :) Will you be going to Nielpolomice? If you are perhaps you will play this game there and I could see it?
Probably yes, so I will take "Kircholm". If you want, we can try to play it :)
hwiccee
Chasseur
Kontakt:

Raleen: Yes in English we say "It's a small world" :)

Zeka: It would be great if you could bring it to Krakow :) Unfortunately I will be running figure games all weekend so I think it will not be possible to play it :(

How long does it take to play?

Nick
hwiccee
Chasseur
Kontakt:

I live now in Prague, the Czech Republic :)

So it is a lot more likely that I will see Raleen and some of the others here in May :) We will all, hopefully, meet when we all go to Pola Chwaly in Krakow in Septemeber. I am only in the Birmingham area when I go home on holiday, typically a week or two in the summer :( But maybe we can meet some time when I do this :)

The only boardgame club I know in your area is in Halesowen. This is their website - http://www.halesowenboardgamers.org.uk/

Do you play historical figure games? This is my main interest and I could send you some contacts connected with this - just let me know (hwiccee@hotmail.com). Some of the historical figure clubs will have people who also play boardgames, or maybe they will know others that do.

Also you could go and ask at this shop - http://www.waylandsforge.co.uk/
They are near the centre of Birmingham and sell boardgames, so maybe they will know who plays them :)

Nick

I can't help you with WHFB as I don't play that.
Zeka

Post autor: Zeka »

hwiccee pisze:How long does it take to play?
I truly don't remeber; shurly few hours (three or more I think). Definitely it isn't short game.
hwiccee pisze:Unfortunately I will be running figure games all weekend so I think it will not be possible to play it :(
What rules you will use? And what epoch you will play? I also like to play figure games, equally fantasy and historical. Now I paintig my teutonic knigts :)
ODPOWIEDZ

Wróć do „International Forum”